Pin It!

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My Knitting Manifesto

Inspired by Nutmeg over at Material Mama I've decided to share my knitting manifesto. I fully admit that sometimes I've just changed the words a bit to suit my situation, but hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it.


I will
  1. Encourage smaller, boutique pattern designers and yarn shops..
  2. Understand knitting does NOT save money. (although I might not share this with my significant other)
  3. Love my stash. Visit it, pet it, appreciate it, and listen to it.
  4. Learn to hear praise and compliments about my work and say “Thank You”.
  5. Not play down my accomplishments, even if it's figuring out something that I feel should have been obvious.
  6. Knit gifts for those who appreciate them
  7. Be proud to show my one of a kind, properly fitted, custom tailored garments.
  8. Know mommy made things make my child feel special and loved whenever they are wearing them.
  9. Knit because I have to, it’s a part of who I am
  10. Occasionally toss an item across the room in frustration.
  11. Forgive myself.
  12. Ask for support when I need and want it.
  13. Listen to my heart about MY yarn and pattern (or lack thereof) choices.

I will not

  1. Support pattern companies that do not support me.
  2. Feel pressured to defend my beautiful stash
  3. Feel pressured to knit for others
  4. Support sweat shop labor
  5. Allow my stash to control me and how I feel. I am always in charge of Stash.
  6. Listen to any negativity about how knitting is outdated (it’s classic, and classic never goes out of style)
  7. Throw anything heavy at someone who tells me “wow, did you know that knitting is getting popular again?”
  8. Knit for anyone who might not appreciate it, or sees it as inferior to store bought. It’s their loss.
  9. Deny that knitting feeds my soul.
  10. See myself as competing with Wal-Mart, Target, etc.
  11. Engage in negative self talk or berate my skills to myself or others.

No comments: