Pin It!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Honeygar and my cold

Awhile ago I read about something called honeygar. It's basically a mixed of honey and vinegar that you mix into water and drink. It's said to be helpful for colds and flu. A little while later I read that someone infused her honey with onion and garlic, so that her honeygar would have that extra antibacterial punch. So I decided to try. I filled a jar with honey, chopped up some garlic and onion and allowed it to sit for awhile. You can read about that here if you missed it.

Well this week I got a cold, probably from spending hours in doctor's office waiting rooms lately. By Wednesday I was laying on the couch, snuggled up under an afghan with all the throw pillows fussing at people who dared to walk in front of the TV :) Then I remember my honey.

I hadn't actually mixed the honey and apple cider vinegar together into the honeygar yet, and I didn't really remember the ratio and I didn't feel like going to find my notes on the subject so I did what I thought might be the right ratio. Which was 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon garlic and onion honey into 1 large glass of water.

That, by the way, is not the correct formula. (The correct recipe is at the bottom of the post)It was not very tasty. I couldn't make myself drink the whole thing. I took large gulps to get it over with as soon as possible and got down maybe half the glass.

But even though it wasn't mixed exactly right, my bedtime that night I was feeling tons better. And the next day? Completely cured except for my voice which still sounded a little horse.

I don't know if the cold had run it's course or if the honeygar worked, but I'm definitely going to try it again next time.

Random bits of information:

  • garlic is antiviral
  • Lymph nodes swell during illness because they're filtering out and therefore filling with the poisons from your body. Apple cider vinegar works as a lymphic cleanser.
  • Some foods help form mucus and should be avoided during a cold, raw dairy, like cheeses, sweets, raw veggies and salads (your body has to heat them up before they can be digested taking energy away from the army fighting whatever bug you have in your system)

Recipe for Honeygar
2 parts apple cider vinegar
1 part honey
Mixed into one glass warm water.

The honey and the vinegar can be infused with herbs if you'd like.



No comments: