Pin It!

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Garlic and Onion Honey for Honeygar

I want to make honeygar. It's simply a little honey and a little cider vinegar mixed with a lot of water. It can be a simple refreshing drink or it's said to have several health benefits.

I decided to pack as much oomph into it as possible. I infused my honey with garlic and onion. Fill a small jar with honey, chop half an onion and a few cloves of garlic and let it steep for a little over two weeks. I had to shake it the first few days because the vegetables wanted to float but as the honey sucked their moisture out they began to blend. The honey really became diluted with all that added moisture. I wish I'd taken pics of the whole process but, honestly, I didn't think about it. I will next time. I strained the mixture into a measuring cup, threw the spent veggies in the compost and poured the liquid back into it's jar.

Garlic and onion are said to be beneficial to those who have colds, honey is soothing to sore throats and helps reduce cough. Now when one of us gets a cold or the sniffles. I can mix my infused honey and a little Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water.

I'm actually thinking of infusing the vinegar with something as well to pack even more into this mix but I haven't decided what to use yet.

No comments: