Pin It!

Friday, April 11, 2008

The difference

At Herb Mentor there is an 'herb of the month' each month. Last month was Chickweed (stellaria media) . There is plenty of chickweed around here. I could go outside and touch it, smell it, taste it and use it. I learned a ton about Chickweed.

This month's herb is Stinging Nettle (Urtica diocia). It doesn't grow near me. It grows in my state but not in my area. So I haven't been able to go out and experience it in the flesh as it were. I didn't think it would matter much, after all I've not got every herb I'll be using growing in my yard or garden, but it really seems I need that hands on experience. I need to touch it, taste it, use it.

In the past I've had no problem getting and retaining information just from reading it in a book But this herb thing is different and very frustrating to me. Yes, I'm still learning about the herb and it's medicinal and nourishing properties, but I"m not getting that personal relationship with it that I had with the chickweed.

LOL that sounds a bit kooky but it's absolutely how I feel.

No comments: