Pin It!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My basket in the Sun (a little vent)

I very much want to move so I can get on with my life. I know I don't have to have the farm I want or even the house in the country to be eco friendly or slightly self sufficient. But it's so frustrating that I can't do some of the things I want to do living here.

My garden has to be in containers and movable, I have zero control over when the lawn maintenance people come, when they mow, what and where they spray, they even knocked over and spilled my rain barrel, (it wasn't full at the time).

I was reading Building Green by Clarke Snell & Tim Callahan. There is a section where they write about Housing Design, that a cat found a basket by a window in the sun and loved to lay in it. When the basket was moved slightly the cat had no interest in it but when the basket was returned to it's original spot the cat crawled back in. They're using that story to illustrate the point that you want your house to suit your needs. They call it your "basket in the sun". I want my basket in the sun!

With all this complaining I don't have it all that bad, I guess. I have some privacy granted by a fence overgrown with Japanese honeysuckle, I have a nice big water oak tree for shade, I'm able to recycle and have a small compost can outside, the farmer's market in my small town is open for the season (although there isn't much there yet), and I discovered a store that sells extracts and essential oils relatively near by. I wish there was a CSA near here, (the nearest on is at least an hour away by car), I'd like to be able to by raw milk, but it's illegal in this state and so are cow shares.

I dream of that house with a bountiful garden, a kitchen table covered with canning jars full of all sorts of things, a spinning wheel near the stove, and a content family enjoying each other's company.

No comments: