Pin It!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Sock Saga

I used the cash I received for my birthday to buy yarn to make Boo and the Sprout some socks. This is not as unselfish as it sounds. The enjoyment I get out of knitting comes from the act of knitting. I don't care what I knit or who it's for, I just want to knit. Besides, I'd already knitted myself a pair of socks.

This is my favorite part of knitting socks. It's called "turning the heel". I've heard lots of people bemoan the horror of turning the heel, but really it's my favorite part!

Forgive the blurriness, please. I had the camera set on the wrong focus and didn't realize until it was too late.

DSC02707

It's like magic, one minute you have a flat piece of knitting and the next, you have a little cup for the heel to eventually live in. I go around the house trying to get people to put their noses in, but they never cooperate.

DSC02706

So I was bopping along, perfectly happy in sock land, then i see this . . .

DSC02718

I know it's blurry also, but you can hopefully see that it's a ball band. An empty ball band.

It's immediately followed by this . . .

DSC02714

What's that you ask? That, my friends, is an unfinished Sprout sock.

Tragic.

Now I have to drive for half an hour to buy one skein/ball of yarn to do a small portion of the foot and the toes of the sock. What, I ask you, am I supposed to do with the leftovers from that ball? I don't think the Sprout is going to grow a third foot anytime soon.

Le sigh

No comments: